Growing up, purple was not only my favorite color, it was my obsession. I had a purple dress that I wore nearly every day. Imagine my excitement when Pantone announced its 2018 “Color of the Year”– Ultra Violet! The coolest part? Ultra Violet stands for some pretty awesome ideas.
According to the Pantone website, Ultra Violet has both nonconformist and spiritual qualities, both inspiring us to “push boundaries through creative outlets,” and take part in “mindfulness practices” (Pantone, 2018). In the spirit of creative outlets and mindfulness especially, here are ten Ultra Violet items you can try to amp up both the creativity and the zen in your life.
- Feeling a little crafty? Living in a dorm? No problem. These no-bake truffles are super simple, with only five ingredients. Though the name may be deceiving, these blueberry truffles are definitely purple!
- White Chocolate Blueberry Truffles – Recipe by Oh My Goodness Chocolate Desserts
- Have a green (er… purple) thumb? Grab a purple echeveria succulent. They grow in a beautiful star shape, resembling a lotus flower. Constantly out of the dorm? The good news is that, as a succulent, purple echeveria is really hard to kill.
- Purple Echeveria Succulent – $6.99 at SucculentOasis on Etsy
- Looks can be deceiving! This Lush “April Showers” bath bomb turns your bath a beautiful violet. Not only is this a nice way to relax, the name reminds us that “April Showers bring May Flowers.”
- April Showers Bath bomb – $7.95/each at Lush
- If you want to get the exact Ultra Violet color, take out the guessing game with this Butter London Ultra Violet nail polish line, born from a partnership with Pantone itself. Shades range from a springy lavender to a deep plum.
- Butter London Nail Polish “Pantone Color of the Year” Range – $10.00 on Kohls.com
- It’s easy to find time to simply light a candle. This one requires no time commitment or heavy lifting. The Lavender and Chamomile aroma is perfect for taking a relaxing bath or helping unwind during a study session.
- PURE Lavender Chamomile Aromatherapy Candle – $10.25 on Amazon
- If you’re goal-oriented, this planner is designed to help you achieve your goals and be more mindful throughout your week.
- Panda Planner in Purple – $29.97 on Amazon
- If you’re looking to add some Ultra Violet to your wardrobe, try this super cute “GRL PWR” tee! Also… who doesn’t need another way to celebrate the amazing, creative women around us?
- GRL PWR tee in Purple – $15.95 by Emtizee on Etsy
- A great way to add a pop of color into a neutral outfit, this raw amethyst necklace would be a great addition to your everyday look.
- Raw Amethyst Necklace – $36.00 by delezhen on Etsy
- Looking for a lot of fun and not a lot of commitment? No, not Tinder… Try L’Oreal’s Colorista 1-Day Spray in Purple. It claims to work on all hair types and textures and may be a fun addition to your festival outfits this year.
- L’Oreal Colorista 1-Day Spray – $9.99 at Ulta
- Feeling blue? Simply flip over your reversible purple Gaiam yoga mat to find a beautiful teal design as well. Feel inspired and relaxed as you stare into the deep purple of this mat while you hold that down dog.
- Reversible Purple/Blue Design Yoga Mat – $30.39 on Amazon
Through all the crazy life business, take a step back and find time for yourself. Whether you break out your purple hair chalk for that concert or simply place your purple succulent on the window sill, these Ultra Violet items are a great place to start.